Marilyn's Natural Hair Story



Q: What is your hair story?  What kind of hair styles have you rocked, before embracing your natural hair?
A: I've rocked a relaxer, braids w/extensions, braids w/o extentions, a bob cut, and a layered cut
Q: When and why did you decide to start wearing your hair naturally?
A: I'd always had a deep desire to have locks that I couldn't explain. I often wondered why it seemed that African American women couldn't grow long hair like white women. It finally hit me one day that we could if we were wearing our natural texture/hair like many of them were. The deciding point was when my long (longer than many) relaxed hair started breaking off in the middle to where there was a split in the long hair. The hair in the split was so short that it appeared to have been cut.

Q: Did you have any big fears about going back to your natural texture?
A: The fear I had about going back natural was the big chop for locks. With the length of my relaxed hair, I knew trying to grow the relaxed hair out before locking would take a long time, especially when I'd only had 2 1/2 inches of natural hair after 8 months of growth. I'd never had short hair, and guys often complimented me on having naturally long hair. That was one thing they found attractive on me. I was afraid that if I chopped my hair off and twisted it to start locks, guys wouldn't find me attractive anymore.

Q: What are three products you can't live without for nurturing/styling your hair?
A: Three products I can't live without is my locking gel (Nahbila's Peppermint and Aloe), moisterizer (use a few different ones), and conditioner (use a variety).

Q: What would you say to someone who's thinking about embracing their natural hair, but scared about being rejected in various parts of their lives?
A: I would say to do what your heart desires and what you need to do to ensure a healthier you in all areas of your life (mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually). At the end of the day, you have to love you  before anyone else will and be happy with self. Confidence goes a long way regardless of what hair you rock. I received the opposite response of what I thought I would receive for cutting and locking my hair. Even the skeptics had to come around once they saw how beautiful and healthy my hair looks.